Is Power Integrations, Inc.'s (NASDAQ:POWI) Stock Price Struggling As A Result Of Its Mixed Financials?

Power Integrations, Inc. +1.29% Post

Power Integrations, Inc.

POWI

77.78

77.78

+1.29%

0.00% Post

Power Integrations (NASDAQ:POWI) has had a rough three months with its share price down 13%. We, however decided to study the company's financials to determine if they have got anything to do with the price decline. Stock prices are usually driven by a company’s financial performance over the long term, and therefore we decided to pay more attention to the company's financial performance. Particularly, we will be paying attention to Power Integrations' ROE today.

Return on equity or ROE is a key measure used to assess how efficiently a company's management is utilizing the company's capital. Put another way, it reveals the company's success at turning shareholder investments into profits.

Check out our latest analysis for Power Integrations

How To Calculate Return On Equity?

ROE can be calculated by using the formula:

Return on Equity = Net Profit (from continuing operations) ÷ Shareholders' Equity

So, based on the above formula, the ROE for Power Integrations is:

7.4% = US$56m ÷ US$752m (Based on the trailing twelve months to December 2023).

The 'return' is the profit over the last twelve months. So, this means that for every $1 of its shareholder's investments, the company generates a profit of $0.07.

Why Is ROE Important For Earnings Growth?

We have already established that ROE serves as an efficient profit-generating gauge for a company's future earnings. Based on how much of its profits the company chooses to reinvest or "retain", we are then able to evaluate a company's future ability to generate profits. Assuming everything else remains unchanged, the higher the ROE and profit retention, the higher the growth rate of a company compared to companies that don't necessarily bear these characteristics.

Power Integrations' Earnings Growth And 7.4% ROE

When you first look at it, Power Integrations' ROE doesn't look that attractive. We then compared the company's ROE to the broader industry and were disappointed to see that the ROE is lower than the industry average of 14%. As a result, Power Integrations reported a very low income growth of 2.0% over the past five years.

Next, on comparing with the industry net income growth, we found that Power Integrations' reported growth was lower than the industry growth of 29% over the last few years, which is not something we like to see.

past-earnings-growth
NasdaqGS:POWI Past Earnings Growth March 30th 2024

Earnings growth is a huge factor in stock valuation. It’s important for an investor to know whether the market has priced in the company's expected earnings growth (or decline). Doing so will help them establish if the stock's future looks promising or ominous. Is Power Integrations fairly valued compared to other companies? These 3 valuation measures might help you decide.

Is Power Integrations Efficiently Re-investing Its Profits?

Power Integrations has a low three-year median payout ratio of 24% (meaning, the company keeps the remaining 76% of profits) which means that the company is retaining more of its earnings. However, the low earnings growth number doesn't reflect this as high growth usually follows high profit retention. Therefore, there might be some other reasons to explain the lack in that respect. For example, the business could be in decline.

In addition, Power Integrations has been paying dividends over a period of at least ten years suggesting that keeping up dividend payments is way more important to the management even if it comes at the cost of business growth. Our latest analyst data shows that the future payout ratio of the company is expected to rise to 39% over the next three years.

Summary

On the whole, we feel that the performance shown by Power Integrations can be open to many interpretations. While the company does have a high rate of reinvestment, the low ROE means that all that reinvestment is not reaping any benefit to its investors, and moreover, its having a negative impact on the earnings growth. That being so, the latest analyst forecasts show that the company will continue to see an expansion in its earnings. Are these analysts expectations based on the broad expectations for the industry, or on the company's fundamentals? Click here to be taken to our analyst's forecasts page for the company.

Every question you ask will be answered
Scan the QR code to contact us
whatsapp
Also you can contact us via